Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Health(ier)" Swedish Meatballs

As winter approaches, I crave warm, heavier comfort foods. However, considering all the baking I've been doing on the weekends lately, I have to (kind of) think about my waistline during the week. This recipe is a great cold-weather comfort food, and, with a little substitutions, you can make it not ridiculously calorie-laden. Plus, it's pretty easy, especially if you make your meatballs before hand.

You will need:
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic
parsley (dried or fresh)
olive oil
1 pkg McCormick's (or whatever) beef stroganoff sauce mix (the little dry packages)
1 c. water
8 oz low fat or fat-free sour cream
1 bag egg noodles
1 small can mushrooms (if you like)
S&P (taste)

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add onions, garlic, parsley, and S&P to ground turkey meat. Mix together, and roll into meatballs (I'm sure you guys are smart enough to figure this part out). Heat oil in skillet (or you can use Pam or another non-stick cooking spray for even less calories), and cook your meatballs. Remove, drain (or whatever to get rid of any excess grease), and then return to pan and add mushrooms. Stir in stroganoff mix and water, and simmer 10 minutes, covered (I'm pretty sure this is on the back of the mix packet). In the mean time, boil your noodles. Reduce heat and stir in sour cream, followed by your noodles. Serve.

I got this recipe from a family friend who taught me "healthier" variations of some pretty good dishes. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

AJ

1 comment: