Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Tony's Yummy Homemade Ravioli

I'm calling this recipe Tony's Homemade Ravioli because I made it for him one day when he was under the weather, and he LOVED it. Also, he gave me my pasta maker for Christmas (sounds weird, but you don't know how much I'd been wanting one!) and helped me roll out the pasta dough when I couldn't figure out how to use said pasta maker. All in all, he's one heck of a boyfriend, even when he's a bit sicky.

After trying unsuccessfully to make the ravioli entirely out of wheat flour, I used a white-wheat blend. The dough does take a bit of time, and I actually made 2 batches before getting it right. Also, I highly recommend purchasing a pasta maker with a ravioli attachment - I couldn't imagine making this without one. I stuffed the pasta with a ricotta-spinach mixture, and used a store-bought sauce that I jazzed up a bit with fresh ingredients. As Tony put it, "This is amazing."

For the dough, you will need:
1 c. wheat flour
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 c. water

Clean a large work surface that will be large enough to roll out the dough. You can also work on waxed paper (easy cleanup!) but I do recommend you tape it down. Sift flours and salt together, then place on work surface in a pyramid shape. Make a well in the center of the pyramid, and add the eggs. Using your hands, knead the egg into the flour slowly, adding water until the dough is the right consistency (it should be a smooth ball of dough, but not too sticky). Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 15 mins.

Meanwhile, make your filling:

15 oz container of ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 1/5 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Fresh spinach, chopped (I have no idea how much I used, but I'd say about a cup)
S&P to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to use.

To make ravioli: Again, I suggest using a pasta maker with a ravioli attachment. This will also take some practice, but after awhile you'll get the hang of it and have delicious, uniform, perfect ravioli's and your dinner guests will be super impressed!


Freshly-filled raviolis, waiting to be cooked

For sauce, you will need:
1 jar Classico Four Cheese Alfredo sauce (I was too lazy to make homemade)
2 medium-sized grilled chicken breasts (we grilled 4 the night before and used the leftovers), sliced
1 container baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced (if needed)
2-3 cloves of garlic (or you can use garlic powder to taste)
Crushed red pepper (to taste)
S&P (to taste)

Saute the mushrooms and garlic over medium heat, and then add remainder of ingredients. Cook until all ingredients are warm through, and bubbly. Serve over cooked ravioli, and garnish with Parmesan cheese. YUMMMMM!!! :)


Finished product - it was fantastic!

3 comments:

  1. That seriously looks amazing. I don't think I have that kind of dedication though...
    LOL
    Ps. I saw the cutest blog background yesterday and it reminded me of your blog. I think you need to see it..http://www.shabbyblogs.com/backgrounds.html
    It's called Betty's Bonbons

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I love it! Tried to post it on but having some difficulties - I will have to mess with it later! :)

    ReplyDelete